aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
The blessings of God fulfilled in the past, promotes worship of God that, in turn, continues the cycle of divine blessings for the future.
This section forms the formal conclusion to the Jacob Story that began in Genesis 25. Here, we see a collection of scattered accounts (Genesis 35) along with a closing genealogy (Genesis 36).
The structure of Genesis 35 is a travelogue of Jacob and his camp from Shechem to Hebron, a severance of the marked by four burials—three actual
Enjoying God’s blessings calls for responsible maintenance of moral standards in the face of worldly evil.
This is a sordid story, with no heroes. Everyone is culpable (except the victims: Dinah, sexually violated and voiceless, and the people of Shechem, brutally slaughtered or kidnapped).
Shechem, the son of Hamor, the Hivite, rapes Dinah, the daughter of Jacob (34:2). But, he seems to show some good faith as he and his father enter into negotiations with Jacob
Faith in God is marked by seeking and extending forgiveness, thus restoring relationships with others, and also with God.
The previous pericope depicted Jacob finally receiving God’s blessing. That would have been a blissful ending to the turbulent story of the patriarch. However, one more thing needed to be accomplished: reconciliation with Esau.
And so, as younger brother comes before his older sibling, Jacob prostrates himself seven times (33:3)—a mark of great respect
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
Someone made the astute observation that for almost a decade now, humans—for the first time in the history of this species—have been wandering the planet with a small computer in their hands: the smartphone.
So, how many times a day do you think the average persons swipes, taps, and pinches that little device in their hands?
Only about 2,617 times … a day. About 1,000,000 times a year.
This, dscout—a research and software company that examines mobile phone usage—confesses
Jane Seymour is a British-American actress known especially for her performance as Solitaire, in the Bond Movie, Live and Let Die (1973). For her other thespian activities, she has received an Emmy, two Golden Globes, and a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Oh, and she is also an Officer of the Order of the British Empire.
Last year, jewelers—the Russian conglomerate, World of Diamonds—decided to honor Ms. Seymour with a 2.08-carat vivid fancy blue diamond ring, set
Why do we sleep? To rejuvenate our energy stores? To clear the brain, kinda like a soft reboot? Just an opportunity to get over the stresses and strains of daily life?
Well, we have a better idea now.
In couple of studies published the other day in Science, scientists from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, UCSD, and the Università Politecnica delle Marche, in Ancona, Italy, in one group, and researchers from Johns Hopkins in another, give us another hint: We
Book Reviews | More
- Preaching the Revised Common Lectionary. Feasting on the Word: Year C, Volume 4, Season after PentecostEdited by David L. Bartlett and Barbara Brown Taylor (Westminster John Knox, 2010)
- Gospel-Centred Hermeneutics: Biblical-Theological Foundations and PrinciplesBy Graeme Goldsworthy (Apollos, 2006)
- A Clear and Present Word: The Clarity of ScriptureBy Mark D. Thompson (InterVarsity, 2006)
- Preaching as PoetryBy Paul Scott Wilson (Abingdom, 2014)
- Preaching the Farewell DiscourseBy L. Scott Kellum (Broadman & Holman, 2014)
- Giving BloodBy Leonard Sweet (Zondervan, 2014)
- Praying the CursesBy Daniel M. Nehrbass (Wipf & Stock, 2013)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- March 6, 2017 Preaching Conference, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
- March 9−10, 2017 Eastern District of the EFCA, Pastors' Conference, Princeton, New Jersey
- March 24−26, 2017 Dallas Seminary President's Weekend, T Bar M Ranch, New Braunfels, Texas
- June 18, 2017 Faith Bible Church, Edmond, Oklahoma
- July 2, 9, 16, 23, & 30, 2017 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
Past Speaking Engagements
- January 12, 2017 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- November 16, 2016 Evangelical Theological Society, San Antonio, Texas
- October 19, 2016 Shepherds National Church Leaders’ Conference, Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- September 6, 2016 Chafer Chapel, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 25, 2016 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 7 & 14, 2016 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 10, 17, 24, & 31, 2016 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- July 25−30, 2016 Dallas Seminary Conference, Mt. Hermon, California
- June 12, 2016 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- June 5, 2016 The Chapel in the Oaks, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- March 27, 2016 Crystal Church of Dallas, Carrollton, Texas
- March 12, 2016 Plenary Lecture, Midwest Regional Conference, Evangelical Theological Society, Grand Rapids, Michigan