aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Ray Pritchard: And this is How I Preach …
[Ray Pritchard is a fellow-preacher who has been in the ministry for well over three decades. Author and reputed pulpiteer, Ray is great to listen to, whether on radio, in Dallas Seminary’s chapels, at Bible conferences, and in venues all around the globe. One of his three sons goes to the same church I do, and another was a student of mine. Let me tell you, Ray and his wife, Marlene, have left a grand legacy, both pastoral
Loss of godliness is an ever-present danger that has consequences, yet for those who “walk with God” there is the reward of intimacy with him.
So far in Genesis, sin has been on the increase. That momentum does not abate here; indeed, this passage culminates in God’s intent to destroy all mankind, except for Noah and his family—the consequence of human wickedness.
The ten paragraphs dealing with ten patriarchs in 5:1–32 follow a formulaic structure providing the
Greg Scharf: And this is How I Preach …
[Greg Scharf is a good friend, a fellow-member of the Evangelical Homiletics Society for many years, and a teacher of preachers at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. With a wealth of both pastoral experience and teaching preaching behind him, he is a good thinker of all matters homiletical, and serves his students well, mentoring them in the science and art of preaching. Here’s Greg ….]
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
While I’m fast losing brain function as I get “wiser”—what a paradox!—I’m glad to report that I’m smarter than a mouse. So there!
Scientists from the University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY, have declared it so in a paper published last year, and in a recent companion study, “A Competitive Advantage by Neonatally Engrafted Human Glial Progenitors Yields Mice Whose Brains Are Chimeric for Human Glia” (The Journal of Neuroscience).
Let me attempt
Pico Iyer, the British writer of Indian origin, recently wrote a book, The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere.
He bemoans our degree of busyness, the intensity of our distractions, the inability to be still.
We’ve lost our Sundays, our weekends, our nights off— our holy days, as some would have it; our bosses, junk mailers, our parents can find us wherever we are, at any time of day or night. More and more of us feel like emergency-room physicians, permanently
News flash: Conquer temptation by avoiding temptation!
Yup, that’s made the news.
Appropriate, perhaps, for this season, when the temptation to engorge, consume, imbibe, and devour is considerable.
I stand condemned! Rather than having a membership to a gym, I possess one to several bakeries and chocolatiers in town. (And if you haven’t had dulce de leche cheesecake, you’ve missed out on one of the singular pleasures of life!).
Anyhow, back to temptation …
Book Reviews | More
- Biblical Hermeneutics: Five Views Edited by Stanley E. Porter and Beth M. Stovell (InterVarsity, 2012)
- Show Me How to Illustrate Evangelistic Sermons By R. Larry Moyer (Kregel, 2012)
- Corporal Punishment in the Bible: A Redemptive-Movement Hermeneutic for Troubling Texts By William J. Webb (InterVarsity, 2011)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- January 25, 2015 Crossroads Baptist Church, Woodlands, Texas
- January–May 2015 Spring Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures on Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
Past Speaking Engagements
- August–December 2014 Fall Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures on Preaching, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- May 25, 2014 Immanuel Baptist Church, Madrid, Spain
- January–May 2014 Spring Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- May 7, 2014 Preaching Seminar, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky
- March 23, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- February 13, 2014 Chafer Chapel, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- February 10, 2014 Southwestern Christian Fellowship, UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas
- February 6, 2014 Moody Founder's Week, Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois
- January 19, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- January 9, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas