aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Steve Mathewson: And this is How I Preach …
[Steve’s been a fixture in the camp of serious thinkers of preaching. Particularly on preaching Old Testament narrative, this man’s wisdom is worth tapping. And his three decades of preaching experience have given him an abundance of that rare commodity. We shared a conference session last year at the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society. The gracious and kindly soul he is, he consented to participate
God’s blessings are fulfilled through obedience that sacrifices and that relinquishes human contrivances in favor of an unshakeable trust in God.
Primeval history (Genesis 1–11) leads to patriarchal history (Genesis 12–50). The former ends on a rather depressing note: mankind seems prone to sin, and sin only seems to worsen with each generation. After the Tower of Babel episode, it seemed to have all gone irremediably awry.
But at the outset of his story, Abram is
Kent Anderson: And this is How I Preach …
[Kent Anderson has been in ministry and involved heavily with the field of homiletics for several decades. And he is a charter member of the Evangelical Homiletics Society. Not to mention his enthusiastic activities of authoring and blogging (check out his blog here). He’s been a fixture of preaching in evangelical circles all over Canada, and
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
She celebrated her 104th birthday this week. Elizabeth Sullivan of Fort Worth.
Well at 103 I didn’t think I’d make it, but I’m still perking along.”
And yes, she needs a doctor. Three of them, in fact. But not the kind with MD next to their names. She needs Dr. Pepper!
People try to give me coffee for breakfast. Well, I’d rather have a Dr. Pepper.”
The good lady began imbibing said soft drink about forty years ago. Three a day. Yup, THREE! Three Dr. Peppers every
They found dust. Yup, dust! Two billion-plus light years away.
Dust is actually quite important in the formation of the universe—planets and stars. But apparently there wasn’t any in the beginning, at the time of the Big Bang (about 14 billion years ago, they say). The early galaxies had only gas, mostly hydrogen and helium (plus dark matter).
Dust—carbon (fine soot) or silicates (fine sand). When stars get old and die as supernovas, the explosions release cosmic dust
I was in the Boston area last week for a series of lectures at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary (GCTS) on the north side of ye olde city.
I know, I know. Boston! This time of the year. Crazy!
It took me about 2 hours to negotiate 30-odd miles from Logan Airport to GCTS the night I arrived.
Exactly 105.5 inches of snow this winter, according to National Weather Service measurements at Logan. Folks, that’s more than 8½ feet of the
good bad, white stuff.
But ye olde Bostonians
Book Reviews | More
- Preaching at the CrossroadsBy David J. Lose (Fortress, 2013)
- From Story Interpretation to Sermon CraftingBy Charles R. Dickson (Wipf & Stock, 2011)
- Excellence in PreachingBy Simon Vibert (Intervarsity, 2011)
- A Basic Guide to Interpreting the BibleBy Robert H. Stein (Baker, 2011)
- Imagining the KingdomBy James K. A. Smith (Baker, 2013)
- Christ-Centered Biblical Theology By Graeme Goldsworthy (InterVarsity, 2012)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- April 19, 2015 Faith Bible Church, Edmond, Oklahoma
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- August 9 & 16, 2015 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
Past Speaking Engagements
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures on Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- January 25, 2015 Crossroads Baptist Church, Woodlands, Texas
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures on Preaching, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- May 25, 2014 Immanuel Baptist Church, Madrid, Spain
- May 7, 2014 Preaching Seminar, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky