aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Greg Scharf: And this is How I Preach …
[Greg Scharf is a good friend, a fellow-member of the Evangelical Homiletics Society for many years, and a teacher of preachers at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. With a wealth of both pastoral experience and teaching preaching behind him, he is a good thinker of all matters homiletical, and serves his students well, mentoring them in the science and art of preaching. Here’s Greg ….]
Man’s pride propagates and perpetuates his sinful rebellion against God, inviting God’s discipline, while God’s grace promises respite from the effects of sin.
Adam and Eve do not have to wait for each other’s death to see God’s judgment of death come to pass—the catastrophic consequence of their rebellion. Before the end of their own lives, they are witness to the slaying of their second son, and the exile of their first away from the presence of God. While
Stephen Davey: And this is How I Preach …
[It’s an honor to have Stephen Davey, Senior Pastor of Colonial Baptist Church in Cary, North Carolina, featured on How I Preach. We have shared pulpits at conferences and at his church and I’ve admired Stephen for a style of preaching that is engaging, down to earth, relevant, and, importantly, textually sound. You can also hear him on his radio program, Wisdom for the Heart, heard around the world in over 300 radio
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
Three guys in Florida are making a career of it. Playing video games. Yup, you heard me right—playing video games. A career. Twenty four hours a day, seven days a week. Blazing a new path online.
Robert Schill, Adam Young, and Brett Borden. These are your new breed of shift workers. Each takes an eight-hour shift. Schill, 26, plops himself on his plush, brown sofa and plays video games from 9:00 to 5:00. Then Young, 29, takes over until 1:00 in the morning, when Borden
Dead or alive?
Janina Kolkiewicsz, 91, of Poland, spent the best part of a day in a cold storage of a mortuary. She had been declared dead by her family doctor: “I was sure she was dead,” said Dr. Wieslawa Czyz.
Mortuary staff later noticed movement in the body bag.
Ms. Kolkiewicsz is now back home, complaining of feeling cold. They are warming her up with a bowl of soup and two pancakes.
But the poor lady is clueless about her close brush with the grave. “My aunt has
Yup, it’s time to crank up those tearjerkers on your playlists, folks. Visit iTunes, Spotify, whatever, and buy a few of those albums that stimulate the lacrimal gland.
Because—scientists tell us (and they’re always right)—melancholy music can actually lift your spirits.
That sounds pretty counterintuitive, but apparently it is true, according Liila Taruffi and Stefan Koelsch from the Psychology Department of the Freie Universität Berlin, in an article they wrote
Book Reviews | More
- Biblical Hermeneutics: Five Views Edited by Stanley E. Porter and Beth M. Stovell (InterVarsity, 2012)
- Show Me How to Illustrate Evangelistic Sermons By R. Larry Moyer (Kregel, 2012)
- Corporal Punishment in the Bible: A Redemptive-Movement Hermeneutic for Troubling Texts By William J. Webb (InterVarsity, 2011)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- August–December 2014 Fall Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures on Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
Past Speaking Engagements
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures on Preaching, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- May 25, 2014 Immanuel Baptist Church, Madrid, Spain
- January–May 2014 Spring Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- May 7, 2014 Preaching Seminar, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky
- March 23, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- February 13, 2014 Chafer Chapel, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- February 10, 2014 Southwestern Christian Fellowship, UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas
- February 6, 2014 Moody Founder's Week, Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois
- January 19, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- January 9, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- December 6, 2013 Sharjah Brethren Assembly, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- December 6, 2013 Redeemer Church of Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- November 30, 2013 Grace Bible Fellowship, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- November 28, 2013 New Life Fellowship, Kuwait City, Kuwait