aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
God’s blessings are fulfilled through obedience that sacrifices and that relinquishes human contrivances in favor of an unshakeable trust in God.
Primeval history (Genesis 1–11) leads to patriarchal history (Genesis 12–50). The former ends on a rather depressing note: mankind seems prone to sin, and sin only seems to worsen with each generation. After the Tower of Babel episode, it seemed to have all gone irremediably awry.
But at the outset of his story, Abram is
Kent Anderson: And this is How I Preach …
[Kent Anderson has been in ministry and involved heavily with the field of homiletics for several decades. And he is a charter member of the Evangelical Homiletics Society. Not to mention his enthusiastic activities of authoring and blogging (check out his blog here). He’s been a fixture of preaching in evangelical circles all over Canada, and
Videos of the 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures at Dallas Seminary (February 3–6, 2015), have been uploaded here. Each of the four lectures is about 40 minutes in length.
February 3: A Vision for Preaching: Importance
February 4: A Vision for Preaching: Impact
February 5: A Vision for Preaching: Implications 1
February 6: A Vision for Preaching: Implications 2
Let me know what you think ….
(And a heartfelt thanks for all y’all’s
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
The sad (and odd) case of Barbara Bagley.
A few years ago, this Utah woman was driving her Range Rover on Interstate 80 when it apparently slid on sagebrush and flipped. Her husband was ejected from the vehicle, suffered major injuries, and died a couple of weeks later. One of the two dogs also inside the SUV died; the other, a Shetland sheepdog, Dooley, fled from the scene.
Most folks on those long flights across oceans have found solace in the latest music videos, Hollywood blockbusters, favorite TV series, or even just listening to all kinds of music that is available at the punch of a button: on-board entertainment. Others bring their own distractions: books, games, videos, ….
Apparently, also popular are those satellite shots of the aircraft making its way to its destination, invigorating action that is accompanied by spectacular details
A new study of dog behavior showed that jealousy isn’t a trait unique to humans. Dogs vying for the attention of their owners showcase behaviors that suggest jealousy is a strong motivating factor in these animals! Who knew!
Christine Harris and Caroline Prouvost from the University of California San Diego, in PLOSone last year, published “Jealousy in Dogs.”
Generally, it is held by social scientists that jealousy evolved as a result of threats to relationships. A
Book Reviews | More
- Biblical Hermeneutics: Five Views Edited by Stanley E. Porter and Beth M. Stovell (InterVarsity, 2012)
- Show Me How to Illustrate Evangelistic Sermons By R. Larry Moyer (Kregel, 2012)
- Corporal Punishment in the Bible: A Redemptive-Movement Hermeneutic for Troubling Texts By William J. Webb (InterVarsity, 2011)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- January–May 2015 Spring Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures on Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- April 19, 2015 Faith Bible Church, Edmond, Oklahoma
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- August 9 & 16, 2015 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
Past Speaking Engagements
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- January 25, 2015 Crossroads Baptist Church, Woodlands, Texas
- August–December 2014 Fall Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures on Preaching, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- May 25, 2014 Immanuel Baptist Church, Madrid, Spain
- January–May 2014 Spring Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- May 7, 2014 Preaching Seminar, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky
- March 23, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas