aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Reg Grant: And this is How I Preach …
[I’m delighted to showcase my DTS colleague Reg Grant on How I Preach. He is a renaissance man with wide and exotic interests in homiletics, aesthetics, drama, film, literary theory …. So he is a preacher, a media buff, actor, director, and author. And you should see him play the congas! A fun guy to be around, so … y’all have fun!]
Reg Grant Ch
We read the Bible to bring divine guidelines for life from Scripture to bear on our lives so that we, the people of God, may be aligned to the will of God, for the glory of God.
But how does this work when you take a “bite-sized” chunk of text—a “pericope”—as you might do in your devotional study, or your pastor might do in the Sunday sermon? What in this slice of Scripture is to be carried over into the life of the Christian?
I have made the claim elsewhere
Hershael York: And this is How I Preach …
[I’m happy to present Hershael on How I Preach. A fellow-member of the Evangelical Homiletics Society, he holds up the fort of preaching at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. As you will see, he’s one cool guy. I’ve enjoyed being around him, most recently teaching a PhD class at Southern last month. Enjoy his wisdom!]
Hershael W. York Victor a
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
Apparently the average American thinks he or she is more intelligent than the average American!
Here are the stats from a new survey by YouGov, a research group that conducts online polls.
Compared to the “average American” … 19% think they are “much more intelligent” 36% think they are “slightly more intellig
The Fuente del Ángel Caído (Fountain of the Fallen Angel) stands in a section of Retiro Park in Madrid. It is a monument to … Satan! In a Catholic country!
Created by Ricardo Bellver in 1873, it was bought by Spain and installed in Retiro Park. The pedestal of the statue was designed by Francisco Jareño, who created an octagonal structure with devils on every side chomping vermin and spouting water at the same time. The whole structure, about 20 feet high, is in t
Segovia is an ancient city, lying about 60 miles Northeast of Madrid. A great place to wander around and take in a fantastic 10th-century castle (the Alcazar of Segovia) and a grand 15th century Gothic cathedral.
But also fascinating is the Aqueduct of Segovia, a defining feature of the city, that shows up on Segovia’s coat of arms.
It is perhaps the most important Roman civil engineering work in the Iberian peninsula—in fact, one of the best-preserved monuments in
Book Reviews | More
- Biblical Hermeneutics: Five Views Edited by Stanley E. Porter and Beth M. Stovell (InterVarsity, 2012)
- Show Me How to Illustrate Evangelistic Sermons By R. Larry Moyer (Kregel, 2012)
- Corporal Punishment in the Bible: A Redemptive-Movement Hermeneutic for Troubling Texts By William J. Webb (InterVarsity, 2011)
- How to Read the Bible in Changing Times: Understanding and Applying God’s Word Today By Mark L. Strauss (Baker, 2011)
- On Your Mark: Reading Scripture without a Teacher By William J. O'Malley (Liturgical, 2011)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August–December 2014 Fall Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
Past Speaking Engagements
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- May 25, 2014 Immanuel Baptist Church, Madrid, Spain
- January–May 2014 Spring Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- May 7, 2014 Preaching Seminar, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky
- March 23, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- February 13, 2014 Chafer Chapel, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- February 10, 2014 Southwestern Christian Fellowship, UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas
- February 6, 2014 Moody Founder's Week, Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois
- January 19, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- January 9, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- December 6, 2013 Sharjah Brethren Assembly, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- December 6, 2013 Redeemer Church of Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- November 30, 2013 Grace Bible Fellowship, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- November 28, 2013 New Life Fellowship, Kuwait City, Kuwait
- September 1, 2013 Hawthorne Gospel Church, Hawthorne, New Jersey
- August 4 & 11, 2013 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 28−August 3, 2013 Dallas Theological Seminary Conference, Mt. Hermon, California