aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Michael Quicke: And this is How I Preach …
[Michael and I connected at the Evangelical Homiletics Society several years ago. This Britisher (with both Cambridge and Oxford pedigrees) is a perspicacious writer on matters related to preaching. Before his fourteen years at Northern Seminary, he was principal of Spurgeon’s College, London—the largest Baptist seminary in Europe—for about a decade, tenth in line to C. H. Spurgeon himself! Michael’s pastoral heart, international
This is a rehash of an old post, to announce my new commentary that’s just come out: Ephesians: A Theological Commentary for Preachers.
I’m frequently asked by my students about commentaries I employ in my preaching prep.
The Preacher sought to find delightful words and to write words of truth correctly. The words of wise men are like goads, and masters of these collections are like well-driven nails; they are given by one Shepherd
Mature faith even in unfavorable circumstances enables the believer experience blessing and bring blessing to others.
Taking the patriarch outside to view the night sky, God unambiguously asserts that Abram would have innumerable seed. Yahweh who “brought forth” Abram from Ur (15:7), could surely “bring forth” a heir from Abram’s body (15:4), as he illustrated by “bringing out” Abram to view the night sky (15:5). To this Abram responds with faith (15:6). But
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
Apparently you don’t need human company any more. Or even a pet. Now we have a drone to go jogging with!
In last month’s CHI (Computer Human Interaction) conference in Seoul, researchers shared the latest in human interaction with digital technologies. Computer science, cognitive psychology, design, social science, anthropology, artificial intelligence, etc., were some of the fields represented. This year’s conference theme was “Crossings,” described by the CHI
A group of scientists from the University of California, Davis, and from University of California, San Francisco, suspect that they’ve found a way to quiet stress signals in the brain.
(Of course, I knew that all along, and agree heartily, particularly when aforementioned sugar is found in the species of health food called cheesecake! In fact, I’m pretty stressed out right now. Hmmm ….)
These folks conclude that because of this property of sugar, one can
You can be drunk when you haven’t drunk!
In recent article in Physiology & Behavior, titled “Mild Hypohydration Increases the Frequency of Driver Errors during a Prolonged, Monotonous Driving Task,” researchers from Loughborough University in Leicestershire, showed that even mildly dehydrated drivers make more than twice as many mistakes as those adequately hydrated. And the number of mistakes was equivalent those who were driving after consuming alcohol.
Book Reviews | More
- The Lost World of ScriptureBy John Walton and Brent Sandy (InterVarsity, 2013)
- Preaching at the CrossroadsBy David J. Lose (Fortress, 2013)
- From Story Interpretation to Sermon CraftingBy Charles R. Dickson (Wipf & Stock, 2011)
- Excellence in PreachingBy Simon Vibert (Intervarsity, 2011)
- A Basic Guide to Interpreting the BibleBy Robert H. Stein (Baker, 2011)
- Imagining the KingdomBy James K. A. Smith (Baker, 2013)
- Christ-Centered Biblical Theology By Graeme Goldsworthy (InterVarsity, 2012)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- August 9 & 16, 2015 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
- June 12, 2016 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
Past Speaking Engagements
- April 19, 2015 Faith Bible Church, Edmond, Oklahoma
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures on Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- January 25, 2015 Crossroads Baptist Church, Woodlands, Texas
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures on Preaching, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- May 25, 2014 Immanuel Baptist Church, Madrid, Spain
- May 7, 2014 Preaching Seminar, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky