aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
I was recently interviewed about singleness and celibacy in Dallas Theological Seminary’s quarterly magazine, Kindred Spirit. For the interview see here.
(BTW, the entire issue is focused on “Singles and the Church,” and may be accessed here. Feel free to read, pass on, or otherwise disseminate.)
Also, in conjunction with that issue, another interview of me with my colleague and friend, Dr. Darrell Bock, was posted on Dallas Seminary’s Table Podcast. Darrell
John Koessler: And this is How I Preach …
[John is a fellow Evangelical Homiletics Society (EHS) member, and a fellow teacher of preaching (at Moody Bible Institute). Prolific writer, insightful preacher, with an enviable dry sense of humor, John’s writing and speaking are well worth attending to. Even the papers he presents at EHS, the book reviews and articles he writes for the Journal of the Evangelical Homiletics Society and other journals, and his radio
God’s blessing upon oneself and one’s associates is conditioned upon a faithful walk before God, a commitment remembered by a formal act of dedication.
It is now thirteen years after the events of Gen 16, and Abram must surely have been wondering when the promise of Yahweh regarding descendants would be fulfilled. The statement of the man’s age, ninety-nine, begins and ends this section (17:1, 24), adding to the tension of the story. More than two decades had passed
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
Procrastination, someone once said, has its good side. You have something to do tomorrow.
I kinda like that. Why fill today doing stuff, when I can fill tomorrow (and the day after, and the day after that, and …) doing the same stuff.
In any case, it isn’t kindly looked upon by mothers and managers and ministers. It is proclaimed an evil to be avoided or, at least, conquered.
And beating procrastination may be easier to conquer than you thought, whether it be for sermon
I bought a new home a few weeks ago.
From a colleague of mine from Dallas Seminary, Timothy Warren. (To read his preaching philosophy, go here.) Timothy and his wife weren’t ready to move out just yet; their new place of residence elsewhere had things to be done to it.
So the Warrens became … my tenants. Paying me rent. Well, for a few days.
My association with Timothy goes back almost two decades.It began with him being my teacher. Then I became his friend. Later his
The other day a wedding photographer posted a photo on Facebook that he had taken at a recent wedding at which he was the camera guy. The photo went viral!
U.S. Marine Corporal Caleb Earwood was getting married on Saturday a couple of weeks ago, in Asheville, North Carolina. He decided he wanted to pray with his bride Maggie before the ceremony. Of course, it ain’t kosher to see your bride on the day of the wedding before she walks up to you in church. So Caleb and Maggie
Book Reviews | More
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- August 9 & 16, 2015 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- August 20, 2015 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
- June 12, 2016 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
Past Speaking Engagements
- April 19, 2015 Faith Bible Church, Edmond, Oklahoma
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures on Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- January 25, 2015 Crossroads Baptist Church, Woodlands, Texas
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures on Preaching, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas