aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Scott Wenig: And this is How I Preach …
[Scott, like several of those portrayed in this series, is a fellow Evangelical Homiletics Society (EHS) member, and a fellow teacher of preaching (at Denver Seminary). Thoughtful scholar on all matters homiletical and pastoral, he brings to the pulpit a wealth of experience in leading churches. He has been at Denver for over two decades, and including this stint has been pastoring both in full-time and interim capacities for the
Failure to keep the way of God results in punishment, but the prayers (and life) of one keeping that way precludes it.
This section is essentially the story of Lot and of Sodom and Gomorrah, with divine justice as a distinct theme.
Abraham’s household is called to be characterized by keeping Yahweh’s way in righteousness and justice, in contrast to the depravity and turpitude characterizing the locale where Lot is situated—described as wicked and evil (19:7, 9). Aligning
I was recently interviewed about singleness and celibacy in Dallas Theological Seminary’s quarterly magazine, Kindred Spirit. For the interview see here.
(BTW, the entire issue is focused on “Singles and the Church,” and may be accessed here. Feel free to read, pass on, or otherwise disseminate.)
Also, in conjunction with that issue, another interview of me with my colleague and friend, Dr. Darrell Bock, was posted on Dallas Seminary’s Table Podcast. Darrell
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
It appears, scientists claim, that climbing a tree helps your working memory.
In a recent study in the journal Perceptual and Motor Skills, researchers from the University of North Florida investigated “proprioceptively dynamic activities,” i.e., behaviors that require one to be keenly aware of the spatial position and location of one’s different body parts, so that the action can be carefully coordinated. It seems that such activities improve one’s working
Maybe you’ve had late nights that stretched into early mornings that found you fast asleep during your work hours. Pulling an all-nighter that knocked you out for the rest of the day.
For Philip “P.J.” Maschek it was worse.
This 50-year-old dude was passed out next morning in his chair wearing a black robe and slippers; no shirt (maybe that’s why he’s called “P.J.”?). The police was called.
Why, you ask?
Our man was (yes, was) an air traffic controller
That’s me, praying at the Western Wall in the Old City of Jerusalem.
The Western Wall is the small portion of the retaining walls of the Temple Mount, where the Jewish Temple stood till it was destroyed in the sack of Jerusalem by the Romans in 70 C.E.
After an extensive expansion of the plateau of the Temple Mount in the first century, conducted by Herod the Great, the guy who killed babies at the birth of Jesus (reigned 37–4 B.C.E.), this obsessive builder of edifices
Book Reviews | More
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- August 9 & 16, 2015 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- August 20, 2015 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
- June 12, 2016 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
Past Speaking Engagements
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- April 19, 2015 Faith Bible Church, Edmond, Oklahoma
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures on Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- January 25, 2015 Crossroads Baptist Church, Woodlands, Texas
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures on Preaching, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas