aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Remembering that God fights for him/her, the child of God lives life with confidence and fearlessness.
Jacob’s encounter with the angels of God and the “camp of God” (Gen 32:1–2) reminds him (and the readers) of the continued presence of God and the protection of God, as he moves with his caravan closer to a rendezvous with Esau, who, when we last heard of him, had been harboring homicidal inclinations towards his heel-grabbing younger brother (27:41). Jacob, no
Steven Lawson: And this is How I Preach …
[Steven Lawson is President and founder of OnePassion Ministries, equipping preachers to usher in a new reformation in the church. He is passionate about preaching, having served as pastor for over three decades in Arkansas and Alabama, most recently at Christ Fellowship Baptist Church in Mobile. Speaker, author, teacher, itinerant minister, and, yes, a Dallas Seminary grad. He is one who has thought a lot about preaching
Remaining in the will of God ensures protection from potential consequences of sin even in one’s own camp.
Jacob had been asked by God to “arise,” “leave,” and “return” to his homeland (31:13); and here he begins the long act of obedience (31:17–18). In the statement about “all the property he had gathered,” there is an echo of his grandfather’s migration from Haran to Canaan: he too collected “all the property he had gathered” (12:5), as he set
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
“Bad” fruit has gotten a bad rap. I’m not talking of rotten stuff, but those pieces of fruit—and vegetables—with cosmetic dents and scars. Ugly f&v are a part of life on the farm. These specimes are perfectly edible and delicious, and just as nutritious as their blemishless fellows. But their cosmetic challenges have relegated them to a position off the shelves of retail grocery stores, and they are consigned to landfills as food waste.
In the U.S. 33% of adults are overweight, 30% are obese, and 6% extremely obese. That leaves only 31% who have a normal weight or are underweight (BMI under 24.9). Yikes!
No wonder many are on diets of various kinds—Atkins, Zone, Vegetarian, Vegan, Weight Watchers, South Beach, Raw Food, Mediterranean, Paleolithic, etc., etc.
Good news for these folks! Soon these dieters can have their cake and eat it too!
Scientists at the University of London unveiled a gadget recently
Bank of America analysts wrote last month that there is a fifty percent chance that we are all living in a Matrix-sorta simulated world (in that 1999 movie, humans live in a simulated reality created and controlled by machines).
(Of course, they added, that if it were all just a simulation, we would never know about it.)
It is conceivable that with advancements in artificial intelligence, virtual reality, and computing power, members of future civilizations could have decided
Book Reviews | More
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- November 16, 2016 Evangelical Theological Society, San Antonio, Texas
- March 6, 2017 Preaching Conference, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
- March 24−26, 2017 Dallas Seminary President's Weekend, T Bar M Ranch, New Braunfels, Texas
Past Speaking Engagements
- October 19, 2016 Shepherds National Church Leaders’ Conference, Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- September 6, 2016 Chafer Chapel, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 25, 2016 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 7 & 14, 2016 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 10, 17, 24, & 31, 2016 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- July 25−30, 2016 Dallas Seminary Conference, Mt. Hermon, California
- June 12, 2016 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- June 5, 2016 The Chapel in the Oaks, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- March 27, 2016 Crystal Church of Dallas, Carrollton, Texas
- March 12, 2016 Plenary Lecture, Midwest Regional Conference, Evangelical Theological Society, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- February 14, 2016 Crossway Marthoma Church, Richardson, Texas
- January 7, 2016 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- November 7, 2015 Keynote Presentation, Faculty & Students Gathering, Dallas Theological Seminary–Houston, Houston, Texas