aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Dennis Johnson: And this is How I Preach …
[Dennis is a scholar, and a thoughtful one at that. On matters relating to centering sermons on Christ, he comes from a venerable Reformed tradition. He has been teaching practical theology in Westminster on the West Coast and is a teaching elder in the Presbyterian Church of America. We shared a podium at last year’s Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society and I felt his perspective on preaching related matters
Correction of faithless behavior and return to faithful obedience to God’s demand, trusting in God’s sovereign timing to keep his word, results in divine blessing.
There is a clear sense in which Abram’s departure from Egypt in Gen 13 is a positive event—a return to the sphere of divine blessing, for there are allusions to the exodus of the Israelites from that land: Abram “goes up from Egypt” (13:1; and Exod 17:3; Num 20:5; 32:11; etc.); he is enriched in Egypt
Steve Mathewson: And this is How I Preach …
[Steve’s been a fixture in the camp of serious thinkers of preaching. Particularly on preaching Old Testament narrative, this man’s wisdom is worth tapping. And his three decades of preaching experience have given him an abundance of that rare commodity. We shared a conference session last year at the Annual Meeting of the Evangelical Theological Society. The gracious and kindly soul he is, he consented to participate
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
The other day something strange happened in Southern Norway.
It began raining earthworms—yes, you read that right: earthworms. Of the creepy, crawly, squirmy, slimy kind. Belonging to the Phylum Annelida.
Biology teacher Karstein Erstad was skiing in the mountains when he discovered thousands of earthworms on the surface of several feet of snow.
When I found them on the snow they seemed to be dead, but when I put them in my hand I found that they were alive.”
Nils. H., 38, is a nurse in Germany (name withheld under that nation’s privacy laws). Hopefully, the verb will be in the past tense: He was a nurse.
The man was arrested the other day and is facing charges in three murders and two attempted murders. He expressed regret for killing 30! And the state prosecutor suspects he could be involved in the deaths of more than 150! All of them his patients! He killed his patients.
He confessed to an Oldenburg regional court that he
Spies are having a difficult time these days.
Those cloak-and-dagger days of yesteryear are gone, when one could produce a false passport, slap on a wig, wiggle a false mustache, and slip into a country with panache. No longer.
Said retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn, ex-director of the Defense Intelligence Agency:
In the 21st century, you can’t do any of that because of biometrics.”
What with iris scans and facial recognition software, life is tough now for the old school
Book Reviews | More
- Preaching at the CrossroadsBy David J. Lose (Fortress, 2013)
- From Story Interpretation to Sermon CraftingBy Charles R. Dickson (Wipf & Stock, 2011)
- Excellence in PreachingBy Simon Vibert (Intervarsity, 2011)
- A Basic Guide to Interpreting the BibleBy Robert H. Stein (Baker, 2011)
- Imagining the KingdomBy James K. A. Smith (Baker, 2013)
- Christ-Centered Biblical Theology By Graeme Goldsworthy (InterVarsity, 2012)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- August 9 & 16, 2015 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
- June 12, 2016 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
Past Speaking Engagements
- April 19, 2015 Faith Bible Church, Edmond, Oklahoma
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures on Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- January 25, 2015 Crossroads Baptist Church, Woodlands, Texas
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures on Preaching, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- May 25, 2014 Immanuel Baptist Church, Madrid, Spain
- May 7, 2014 Preaching Seminar, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky