aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Robert Smith: And this is How I Preach …
[It is a pleasure to highlight Robert Smith, an acclaimed preacher in evangelicalism today, on How I Preach. We have connected off and on at meetings of the Evangelical Homiletics Society meetings, and I’ve made it a priority to listen to him whenever I get the chance. His wealth of experience brings insights that are heartfelt and stimulating. Here’s Robert ….]
Robert Smith, Jr.
This is the first in a series of posts on each pericope of Genesis. This will essentially be a distillation of what is in my commentary (Genesis: A Theological Commentary for Preachers; more on the book, and a free chapter download, here). Of course, the book contains far more detail than can be reproduced he
Reg Grant: And this is How I Preach …
[I’m delighted to showcase my DTS colleague Reg Grant on How I Preach. He is a renaissance man with wide and exotic interests in homiletics, aesthetics, drama, film, literary theory …. So he is a preacher, a media buff, actor, director, and author. And you should see him play the congas! A fun guy to be around, so … y’all have fun!]
Reg Grant Ch
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
They are often bothersome. Neighbors. Loud noises. Wild partying. Crazy pets. And all manner of other inconsiderate activities directed against you and the rest of those on their block.
Maybe you’ve felt like moving. Or you’ve been praying they will move. Your blood pressure suffers. Your adrenaline is wasted. And you think you’ll die sooner because of their antics.
Well, it seems there’s a connection between your neighbor and your heart. At least that’s what
Walter Isaacson wrote an article for TIME recently. Mr. Isaacson, who worked for the magazine once, as its managing editor, and as CEO fro CNN, is now president of Aspen Institute, a non-partisan thinktank in Washington, DC. He is the acclaimed author of Steve Jobs (2011), as well as biographies of Einstein, Ben Franklin, and Henry Kissinger.
Mr. Isaacson’s recent article is about your shoulder. Yup, your shoulder. And how someone is looking over it. Over your should
Trust a Texas mom to take action. Sharon Standifird, of Houston, and a military vet, was, like any concerned mother, mad.
Once again, she called. No reply. And again, she texted. No reply.
Her teenager, Bradley, was not answering her calls or texts.
She was mad!
(Not unusual. There are a lot of mad parents out there, I’m told, who are in the same predicament, stuck with unresponsive teenagers.)
So she got to work. Seriously. Said Standifird:
We need to develop an app that
Book Reviews | More
- Biblical Hermeneutics: Five Views Edited by Stanley E. Porter and Beth M. Stovell (InterVarsity, 2012)
- Show Me How to Illustrate Evangelistic Sermons By R. Larry Moyer (Kregel, 2012)
- Corporal Punishment in the Bible: A Redemptive-Movement Hermeneutic for Troubling Texts By William J. Webb (InterVarsity, 2011)
- How to Read the Bible in Changing Times: Understanding and Applying God’s Word Today By Mark L. Strauss (Baker, 2011)
- On Your Mark: Reading Scripture without a Teacher By William J. O'Malley (Liturgical, 2011)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- August–December 2014 Fall Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
Past Speaking Engagements
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- May 25, 2014 Immanuel Baptist Church, Madrid, Spain
- January–May 2014 Spring Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- May 7, 2014 Preaching Seminar, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky
- March 23, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- February 13, 2014 Chafer Chapel, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- February 10, 2014 Southwestern Christian Fellowship, UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas
- February 6, 2014 Moody Founder's Week, Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois
- January 19, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- January 9, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- December 6, 2013 Sharjah Brethren Assembly, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- December 6, 2013 Redeemer Church of Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- November 30, 2013 Grace Bible Fellowship, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- November 28, 2013 New Life Fellowship, Kuwait City, Kuwait
- September 1, 2013 Hawthorne Gospel Church, Hawthorne, New Jersey