aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
David Allen: And this is How I Preach …
[I’m delighted to present David Allen, Dean of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, at Ft. Worth, next door to Dallas. A good thinker of preaching, and a fellow-member of the Evangelical Homiletics Society, his zeal for preaching and for training the next generation of preachers is well acclaimed and appreciated. Here’s David ….]
David L. Allen Dean and Professor of Preaching Director
God exercises his sovereignty over the cosmic Temple over which he reigns, deputizing humans bearing his image, to represent him to the rest of the cosmos.
The first chapters of Genesis contain a theology of creation that asserts the bankruptcy of the contemporary pagan creation stories of the cultures surrounding Israel, with their mistaken notions of the nature of deity, the idolatry of astronomical bodies and natural entities, and a misunderstanding of the place and
Robert Smith: And this is How I Preach …
[It is a pleasure to highlight Robert Smith, an acclaimed preacher in evangelicalism today, on How I Preach. We have connected off and on at meetings of the Evangelical Homiletics Society meetings, and I’ve made it a priority to listen to him whenever I get the chance. His wealth of experience brings insights that are heartfelt and stimulating. Here’s Robert ….]
Robert Smith, Jr. <span
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
A few months ago, the music video “Gangnam Style” crossed two billion views on YouTube—the most watched video clip of all time!
For those like me still listening to Bach and Beethoven (or Beatles and the Beach Boys) an education is in order.
First, you need to know about the Korean Wave, the increasing popularity of (South) Korean culture since the 1990s. Though most of this growth is in Eastern and Southeastern Asia, teenagers and young adults in Latin America, the
James Brady died last month. You might remember him as President Ronald Reagan’s press secretary who got shot during the assassination attempt on Reagan on March 30, 1981. Brady was hit above the left eye and the bullet entered his skull, shattering into more than two-dozen fragments. Resulting in multiple surgeries to stop leakage of spinal fluid, for pulmonary embolism, not to mention epileptic seizers, pneumonia, fevers, paralysis ….
James S. Brady, 73, passed away
Grumble, grumble, grumble.
You know what I’m talking about. That class is horrible, that prof rotten, and those classmates … That job is lousy, that boss is impossible, those co-workers …. Aw, I don’t want to see that bad movie.
And we grumble.
But we are forced to sit through the class, take on that job, watch that movie, and we do, preparing ourselves to hate every second of it … and it turns out to be pretty fun.
And that seems to be the key to enjoyment
Book Reviews | More
- Biblical Hermeneutics: Five Views Edited by Stanley E. Porter and Beth M. Stovell (InterVarsity, 2012)
- Show Me How to Illustrate Evangelistic Sermons By R. Larry Moyer (Kregel, 2012)
- Corporal Punishment in the Bible: A Redemptive-Movement Hermeneutic for Troubling Texts By William J. Webb (InterVarsity, 2011)
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- August–December 2014 Fall Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- October 7−9, 2014 Rom Lectures, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School, Deerfield, Illinois
- October 9−11, 2014 Plenary Lectures, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Homiletics Society, Chicago, Illinois
- November 19−21, 2014 Presentations, Annual Meeting, Evangelical Theological Society, San Diego, California
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
Past Speaking Engagements
- August 24, 2014 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- August 21, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 3 & 10, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 6, 13, 20, & 27, 2014 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- May 25, 2014 Immanuel Baptist Church, Madrid, Spain
- January–May 2014 Spring Semester, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- May 7, 2014 Preaching Seminar, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Louisville, Kentucky
- March 23, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- February 13, 2014 Chafer Chapel, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- February 10, 2014 Southwestern Christian Fellowship, UT Southwestern Medical School, Dallas, Texas
- February 6, 2014 Moody Founder's Week, Moody Bible Institute, Chicago, Illinois
- January 19, 2014 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- January 9, 2014 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- December 6, 2013 Sharjah Brethren Assembly, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
- December 6, 2013 Redeemer Church of Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- November 30, 2013 Grace Bible Fellowship, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- November 28, 2013 New Life Fellowship, Kuwait City, Kuwait