aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Philip Ryken: And this is How I Preach …
[Philip Ryken is the eighth and current president of Wheaton College, Wheaton, Illinois, and a graduate of Westminster Theological Seminary and Oxford University. He joined the historic Tenth Presbyterian Church in Philadelphia in 1995, and succeeded James Boice as its Senior Minister in 2000. He has been at Wheaton for the last six years (where is father, Leland Ryken, still teaches), succeeding <a href="http://homiletix.com/duane-litfin-how-i-preach/
God’s blessings do not preclude the possibility of appropriate discipline for misdeeds.
Jacob is fleeing from his brother, Esau, whom he had deceived. We find him here in Haran, the land of his uncle. He happens to arrive at the well where shepherds from Haran congregate. Which also happens to be the place where Rachel, Laban’s daughter, waters her flock. And it also happens that she arrives at that opportune moment. And it happens that Jacob finds the strength to move
Pete Briscoe: And this is How I Preach …
[Pete Briscoe is the Senior Pastor of Bent Tree Bible Fellowship, a multi-site church in North Dallas; he is a graduate of Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. Born in the UK, to a family of preachers, he came to the US when he was seven, and he followed the path of his parents into ministry. I used to attend Bent Tree when I lived (and practiced) close to its location and have always enjoyed Pete’s preaching. So here he is
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
A strange thing happened the other day.
An Israeli dude wanted a restraining order against God. He petitioned the Haifa Magistrate’s Court to issue one.
“Will the faultfinder contend with the Almighty?
Let him who reproves God answer it.”
The name of the petitioner has not been reported, but he represented himself in court, creating quite a storm with his audacity.
Then the LORD answered Job out of the storm and said,<br
If you want to get folks to carefully and thoughtfully consider answers to a weighty matter, then you might do well to make the weighty matter actually weigh something significant.
A few years ago, Psychological Science published “Weight as an Embodiment of Importance,” by researchers from the University of Amsterdam.
Subjects were asked to respond to questions on either a light clipboard (1.45 lbs) or a heavier one (2.29 lbs). Guess what, the folks holding the latter
The other week LeeAdianez Rodríguez decided to run 3.1 miles. But she made a mistake. She ran 13!
Rodríguez, called Lee or Adi by friends and family, intended to run the Wegmans Family 5K that day. But the 12-year-old lass from Irondequoit, NY, outside of Rochester, was already late and so she scrambled to get to the starting point on Broad Street Bridge in Rochester. Mom Brendalee dropped Lee off and went to park.
There were already thousands of runners assembled at the
Book Reviews | More
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- June 5, 2016 The Chapel in the Oaks, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
- June 12, 2016 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- July 10, 17, 24, & 31, 2016 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- July 25−30, 2016 Dallas Seminary Conference, Mt. Hermon, California
- August 7 & 14, 2016 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- September 6, 2016 Chafer Chapel, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- October 20, 2016 Shepherds National Church Leaders’ Conference, Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
Past Speaking Engagements
- March 27, 2016 Crystal Church of Dallas, Carrollton, Texas
- March 12, 2016 Plenary Lecture, Midwest Regional Conference, Evangelical Theological Society, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- February 14, 2016 Crossway Marthoma Church, Richardson, Texas
- January 7, 2016 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- November 7, 2015 Keynote Presentation, Faculty & Students Gathering, Dallas Theological Seminary–Houston, Houston, Texas
- October 21, 2015 Shepherds National Church Leaders’ Conference, Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- August 20, 2015 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 9 & 16, 2015 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas