aBeLOG: fortnightly thoughts on homiletics | More →
Paige Patterson: And this is How I Preach …
[Paige Patterson needs no introduction. He has been on the frontlines of the academy and the church since his seminary days in the 70s. Past-President of The Criswell College in Dallas, Texas, and of Southeastern Baptist Theological Seminary in Wake Forest, North Carolina, he is currently President of Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary in Fort Worth, Texas. Paige has also served as President of the Southern Baptist Convention
Mature faith persists even when costly, encountering opposition, suffering exploitation, and enduring little reward in the present.
While on the surface the subject of this chapter, the purchase of a burial plot, sounds rather trivial, its mention elsewhere—in connection with Abraham’s burial (25:9–10), with Jacob’s will (49:29–32) and burial (50:13)—indicates its significance to Israelite history and to what God was doing through Abraham. Here in Genesis 23
David Daniels: And this is How I Preach …
[David is currently the senior pastor of a large church in the DFW Metroplex. I had the privilege of being one of the readers of his DMin dissertation done at Dallas Seminary, and I enjoyed his creativity, intellect, and imagination. It might interest you to know that he wrote on how to induct principles of visual design into the craftsmanship of a sermon (he talks about it below). Interesting stuff. David’s church is thriving
RaMbLeS: weekly musings on life and Scripture | More →
Leptos = thin
Dermis = skin
Scientists at the Department of Biophotonics and Laser Technology at Saarland University, in Germany, used high-resolution skin imaging tomography to study the skins of astronauts before and after their space journeys. The technology uses lasers: apparently the resolution is a thousand times better than that produced by any other device.
Said Professor Karsten Koenig of Saarland:
So now you get the information without taking biopsies; normally
You’ve got everything. A fancy Ferrari or two. A mansion or more. The personal yacht, helicopter, jet, and spaceship. Dresses and diamonds to your delight. Suits and savings to last forever.
But what’s the use of all of this … if you won’t last forever?
The mind fades. The body faints. The spirit flags. And time takes its toll. You age and you die.
So these folks who have everything—the “ultrarich”— are now looking to crack the last frontier: stalling their
In some states you can’t even smile when posing for your driver’s license photo. But things are different in ye olde commonwealth of Massachusetts.
You can wear a colander on your head while getting your mug shot. You read right: a colander.
Lindsay Miller cited religious reasons for doing so and the Massachusetts Registry of Motor Vehicles complied. (They first refused, but when the American Humanist Association’s Appignani Humanist Legal Center intervened, the MA
Book Reviews | More
Sermon Videos | More
Speaking Schedule | More
Upcoming Speaking Engagements
- January 7, 2016 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- March 12, 2016 Plenary Lecture, Midwest Regional Conference, Evangelical Theological Society, Grand Rapids, Michigan
- June 12, 2016 Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- July 10, 17, 24, & 31, 2016 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- October 20, 2016 Shepherds National Church Leaders’ Conference, Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
Past Speaking Engagements
- November 7, 2015 Keynote Presentation, Faculty & Students Gathering, Dallas Theological Seminary Houston, Houston, Texas
- October 21, 2015 Shepherds National Church Leaders’ Conference, Colonial Baptist Church, Cary, North Carolina
- October 6−8, 2015 Northcutt Lectures on Preaching, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Fort Worth, Texas
- September 18−20, 2015 Chinese Independent Baptist Church Camp, Mt. Hermon, California
- August 20, 2015 New Student Orientation, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- August 9 & 16, 2015 Stonebriar Community Church, Frisco, Texas
- July 5, 12, 19, & 26, 2015 Northwest Bible Church, Dallas, Texas
- April 19, 2015 Faith Bible Church, Edmond, Oklahoma
- March 4, 2015 Ockenga Lectures on Preaching, Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, South Hamilton, Massachusetts
- February 3−6, 2015 Griffith Thomas Lectures, Dallas Theological Seminary, Dallas, Texas
- January 25, 2015 Crossroads Baptist Church, Woodlands, Texas
- December 7, 2014 Bayside Community Church, Tampa, Florida